[cvsnt] newbie questions about cvsnt remote access

Gerhard Hofmann gerhard.hofmann at planat.de
Thu May 4 10:23:57 BST 2006

Hi all,

I have taken over administration of an existing cvsnt server from an
ex-colleague, so please don't blame me in case of asking silly questions
that may have been asked before...

We run cvsnt 2.0.11 (I guess this is rather old) and our developers use
TortoiseCVS to work with the repository.

Some of them would like to work with cvs from home or from our
customers' LAN ("roadwarriors").

I have thought about some possibilities to achieve this:
1. setup port-forwarding of pserver port 2401 on our DSL router. Is this
a good idea? Would we also need to forward lock server port 2402? An
obvious drawback of this approach is that on the customer's site
outgoing connections on port 2401 would have to be enabled...

2. web frontend: there seem to be a number of web frontends allowing
read only access. Which ones do you know that also allow write access?

3. configure both cvsnt and TortoiseCVS to use SSL. Is there any
tutorial around how this can be done? Would I need any additional
software (OpenSSH, Web Server...) for it?

How do you use CVS from remote?

TIA
Gerhard