[cvsnt] newbie questions about cvsnt remote access

Bo Berglund Bo.Berglund at system3r.se
Thu May 4 12:23:06 BST 2006

- 2.0.11 is *really* old...

1. Remote access by opening up port 2401 on the Internet firewall is OK.
Just set it to forward calls on TCP=2401 to the internal CVSNT server.
2402 is never opened because it is only used by the CVSNT server itself
and need to be available only for the server itself. And I do not
believe that the lockserver was even available back on 2.0.11....

But when you do this I recommend that you switch from pserver to sspi
because it is inherently more secure and has an encryption setting so
that all of your traffic on the Internet will be encrypted.
Or use sserver, which is an encrypted version of pserver. But then you
likely must upgrade the server from 2.0.11 to 2.5.03.2260....
I have an installation guide here:
http://web.telia.com/~u86216177/InstallCVSNT25.html

2. Web frontends are available but only for *browsing* readonly.
No active web frontends exist to my knowledge.

3. Don't know what good SSL would do you in this case, you have an
access
problem via Internet etc and the server is a Windows machine so I don't
think you can set up SSL or SSH....

4. I use the 2401 port forwarding technique on my ADSL firewall and I
use SSPI.

Best regards,

Bo Berglund