[cvsnt] Does lockserver require a network connection?

Matt st11x at yahoo.com
Tue May 9 14:24:53 BST 2006

Hi,

I am using CVSNT installed locally on my laptop with 1 user (myself
connecting to it) using the pserver protocol. After hours fiddling
around, I finally found the reason why I couldn't get to the CVS server
at times.

I found that if I do not have any network connections, the cvs client
(gui or not) will just "hang" at trying to connect to localhost.
This is on version 2.5.03.2260.

When I downgraded to version 2.5.01.1969, the lockserver service would
not even start up unless I have an internet connection.

In both cases, if the services were already started before connection
was lost, they will remain running. You can even telnet to both ports
(2401,2402). However, any cvs commands will just "hang" at the
connection part.

I'm using Win XP sp2. Tried the loop back adapter, no difference.

Does anyone have a clue?

thanks
   Matthew