[cvsnt] cvs removed jars always corrupted

Jacob Kjome hoju at visi.com
Thu May 11 22:28:04 BST 2006

I'm having a problem where jar files are corrupted after they are removed.  Take
the following scenario...

Server: CVSNT 2.5.xx on Windows 2003 server (not 100% sure of exact CVSNT
version, but I'm pretty sure it is at least 2.5)

Client: TortoiseCVS-1.9.10

1.  Add .jar file as binary, not text
2.  Tag the jar
3.  Check out tagged jar in a separate directory.  *Not* yet corrupt, verified
by opening up in WinRAR/WinZip.  Works just fine.
4.  Remove/commit the jar from the HEAD
from the tagged sandbox and update or do a fresh checkout of the tag to a
another separate directory
6.  Try to open the jar in WinRAR/WinZip.  Get the message "Unexpected end of
archive".  The tagged Jar is corrupt after the remove where it was just fine
before the remove.

Why is this?  It happens 100% of the time on our server here at work.  Any tag
that references jar files removed from the HEAD or a branch now points to
corrupted jar files.  What am I missing?  I can check in another jar file of
the same name over an existing jar file in CVSNT and I get *no* corruption, but
as soon as I remove the jar file, it is corrupt.  Our workaround is to never
remove jar files if they are referenced by a tag.  Of course, this means having
multiple versions of jar files with different names sitting in the HEAD.  If
someone makes a mistake and removes a jar accidentally, I have to re-add the
jar and move all tag references to the new non-corrupt jar.  This can't be
normal!

What's the cause and, more importantly, the remedy?

thanks,

Jake