[cvsnt] Re: Access Control to the repository

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at system3r.se
Wed May 17 11:44:59 BST 2006

On Wed, 17 May 2006 11:37:29 +0530, "Sabahat Adil"
<sabadil at perfexa.com> wrote:

>Hi All
>
>Client: CVSNT 2.5.03 built 2260 on Windows 2000
>Server: CVSNT 2.5.05 built 2260 on Windows 2000
>Protocol Used:SSPI
>
>There are are hundred of real window users.
>i want to give access to only five of
>them to the repository.i don't know
>what to do?it will took to much time
>to prohibit ninty five users to give
>'no access'to the repository by using
>chacl command for each window user.i have
>gone through the CVS document but there is
>no solution of it.Please help me how to use
>chacl,lsacl,admin command ASAP.I had tried
>a lot but still not get success.
>
>Egarly waiting for solution of the above
>problem.

In your situation I would use the Windows NTFS permissions instead:

In the Windows AD database for the domain, create two new user groups,
one called CVSUsers and one CVSAdmins.
Then add all your CVS users as members of the CVSUsers group and those
that shall be able to manage the CVS server to the CVSAdmins group.

Then go to the CVS repository top folder (where the CVSROOT folder is
located) and set the NTFS permissions to allow read/write for the
group CVSUsers. Let the permissions inherit to all folders and files
below this folder.

Now select the CVSROOT folder and set the permissions here:
- Remove the CVSUsers permissions on this folder
- Add Read/write for CVSAdmins

With this you will not need to do anything more provided that your
users connect with the SSPI protocol.

There is an alternative to the second step:
- Create a file CVSROOT/admin
- In this file add all users that are CVS admins on separate lines
(You need to enter their account logins with proper case for this to
work)
If you go this route then you do not need the CVSAdmins usergroup and
you will let CVSNT decide who can have access to the CVSROOT admin
module based on the contents of the admin file.

/Bo Berglund