[cvsnt] dry run error on update command

Zlatko Arifhodzic zlatko at free.fr
Fri May 19 10:15:00 BST 2006

Thanks for your answer Bo !

>And had to do this instead:
>
>mkdir somedir\subdir1
>cd somedir\subdir1
>cvs export -r HEAD -d subdir2 module1/submod2/something

I must say that changing the current workdir does not change a thing.
The command started from head root extraction dir, subdir or final dir,
causes the very same error :

>By the way, you omitted a very important version info, the build
>number....

Ouups, indeed :) , the build number is 2151. Might not be the last one
.. however it was tagged as stable at the time we switched to cvnst
under linux.

Now I have noticed somethig quite strange in the sever log, and it might
be the cause of the problem ! At least seems like :

> 16:59:14: S -> RCS_checkout (/code/sandbox/testmerge/myfile.txt,v,
1.2, kV, myfile.txt)

The line seem to checkout the HEAD version in a file named myfile.txt.
Please notice that the directory name is not provided in the log !

> 16:59:14: S -> RCS_checkout (/code/sandbox/testmerge/myfile.txt,v,
1.1, kV, /tmp/cvsOuyKcg

The line seem to checkout the common ancestor into /tmp/cvsOuyKcg. I
checked the file contents and it s the ancestor !

16:59:14: S -> RCS_checkout (/code/sandbox/testmerge/myfile.txt,v,
1.1.2.1, kV, /tmp/cvsnmQIjc)

The line seem to checkout the version we want to merge from into
/tmp/cvsOuyKcg. I checked the file contents and it is the correct file !

Now at the end of the log there is this line :

16:59:14: S -> Calling diff3 with myfile.txt, /tmp/cvsOuyKcg, /tmp/cvsnmQIjc
16:59:14: S -> diff3 returned 2

Now when diff3 returs error code 2 it means file not found. The error
message from diff3 is the following :
diff3: myfile.txt: No such file or directory

The quite same that the client returns !

So it seems that when performing the diffs in preview mode, the diff3 is
not invoked from the correct working directory, the one where myfile.txt
is stored. Or it is missing a ./ before the file name.

>From the logs I cannot determine where the extraction of myfile.txt
takes place. However the last log line says :

16:59:14: S -> unlink_file_dir(/tmp/cvs-serv20708)

But the string cvs-serv20708 cannot be found anywhere in the log !

So either the diff3 command is not invoked as it should, either the
current dir when invoking the diff3 is not correct.

So if anyone has a knowlege of the source code or /has access to/is
memeber of/ the cvsnt devteam could you please check the code or give me
some pointers on the files to check ?

BTW, I also noticed that the temporary files created on the server by
the -n option are never cleaned, wile the files created without the
option are cleaned ! It seems that when diff3 returns an error, the
temporary files are not cleaned !

Thanks for any pointers !

Best Regards

Zlatko