[cvsnt] Re: check CVS repository integrity

Glen Starrett glen.starrett at march-hare.com
Fri May 19 16:49:20 BST 2006

Guelck, Matthias RD-IS-E23 wrote:
> However, wouldn't it be desirable to save the files with a check sum?
>  Then corrupt repositories could be simply recognized by check of the
> check sums.

That's a good point.  I don't know the exact reasons, but I believe
there isn't a revision checksum included now because it depends on what
expansion options and platform you're using as to how the checksum will
turn out.  Also, file corruption is rare and easily mitigated with a
good backup strategy.

If you were thinking of doing an overall checksum for the file it would
be impractical -- having to calculate the checksum on the entire RCS
file after every commit, tag, etc. would kill performance.

--
Glen Starrett