[cvsnt] dry run error on update command

Glen Starrett glen.starrett at march-hare.com
Fri May 19 16:59:46 BST 2006

Zlatko Arifhodzic wrote:
> So it seems that when performing the diffs in preview mode, the diff3 is
> not invoked from the correct working directory, the one where myfile.txt
> is stored. Or it is missing a ./ before the file name.

My guess would be that the -n flag is preventing the server-side
myfile.txt from being written (-n means don't change the disk, after all).

> BTW, I also noticed that the temporary files created on the server by
> the -n option are never cleaned, wile the files created without the
> option are cleaned ! It seems that when diff3 returns an error, the
> temporary files are not cleaned !

Possible, or it could be the -n suppressing disk changes.  Not sure.

Again, this is all just speculation.  I presume you don't have this
problem when you don't use the -n, correct?

 From a procedural standpoint, I'm not sure I understand the necessity
of doing the dry run merge command.  What does that do for you?  I
always review my merges, but it's in this order:

commit all changes
update to merge destination
perform merge
review all diffs / conflicts
IF like_results != true, cvs update -C to reset and start over
ELSE commit
-> Done.

Nothing changes on the server side when you do a merge until you commit
the merged sandbox, so there's no risk to either your repository or your
sandbox.

Regards,

--
Glen Starrett