[cvsnt] Re: check CVS repository integrity

Michael Wojcik Michael.Wojcik at microfocus.com
Fri May 19 21:26:36 BST 2006

> From: cvsnt-bounces at cvsnt.org
> [mailto:cvsnt-bounces at cvsnt.org] On Behalf Of Tony Hoyle
> Sent: Friday, 19 May, 2006 15:22

Very well, I'll drop this; but I'll note that one of your objections
here doesn't make much sense.  (The others are all arguably valid,
though we might disagree about how much weight to give them.)

> Storing the checksum in the RCS file at all would negate the point of
it
> anyway - it would always be invalid because writing it in the file
changes the
> file.

That's just silly.  Protocols for including a checksum in the checked
data are widely used - consider the IP header checksum, for example.
The summing algorithm just disregards the checksum area or uses a fixed
filler value for it when computing the check value.

But it's a moot point.

--
Michael Wojcik
Principal Software Systems Developer, Micro Focus