[cvsnt] Re: check CVS repository integrity

Tony Hoyle tony.hoyle at march-hare.com
Sun May 21 12:50:31 BST 2006

Gerhard Fiedler wrote:

> If I'm not mistaken, that was the OP's point: having a "check repository
> for consistency" command that can be run whenever deemed necessary and that
> returns the files that are inconsistent, not verifying the checksums at
> every read or write. Whether the whole file is checksummed or individual
> sections of it is also not relevant in this context.

He wanted the whole file checking - and that gets slower every time a
new revision is added.  RCS files do get very large and we have to allow
for the worst cases... at the moment cvsnt/cvs don't really slow down as
the RCS files get larger since the amount of data you need to process to
get the HEAD revision remains low.

Adding signatures isn't really about integrity it's about
verification... in some environments you need to know who made a change
with complete certainty, and that the change is as they originally made
it, not merely a username tag.  Of course 99% of people wouldn't need
this (adding signed commits adds quite a bit of complexity to the
process & it wouldn't be transparent at all).