[cvsnt] Re: Absolute module reference invalid error

Webmaster33 webmaster33 at gmail.com
Tue May 23 19:34:50 BST 2006

> "latest stable" does not say anything, it is a fleeting object and
> moves over time. Which actual "latest stable" version did you in fact
> install?
Latest stable:
CVSNT 2.5.03.2260

> This guide actually works and on it you can find download links to the
> latest version too:
>  http://web.telia.com/~u86216177/InstallCVSNT25.html

I know your guide, I followed it.
However it doesn't tell anything about RCS to CVS conversion.

> To find its verison is simple in a command window:
> c:\>cvs ver
> Concurrent Versions System (CVSNT) 2.5.03 (Scorpio) Build 2330
> (client/server)

The result is unfortunately:
E:\temp\test_perforce>cvs ver
cvs version: No CVSROOT specified!  Please use the `-d' option
cvs [version aborted]: or set the CVSROOT environment variable.

E:\temp\test_perforce>cvs ver -d e:/temp/test_cvs/
cvs version: No CVSROOT specified!  Please use the `-d' option
cvs [version aborted]: or set the CVSROOT environment variable.

> Well, with this you are not using your server at all....
> A more appropriate approach would be to use
>   cvs -d :sspi:localhost:/repo checkout mymodule
> where /repo is the configured repository served by the CVSNT server
> and mymodule is a module in that repository.

Results are still bad:
cvs -d :sspi:localhost:/e:/temp/test_cvs checkout e:/temp/test_cvs
cvs [checkout aborted]: /e:/temp/test_cvs: no such repository

cvs -d :sspi:localhost:/e:/temp/test_cvs checkout e:/temp/test_cvs/CSVROOT
cvs [checkout aborted]: /e:/temp/test_cvs: no such repository

cvs -d :sspi:localhost:/e:/temp/test_cvs/CVSROOT checkout e:/temp/test_cvs/CSVROOT
cvs [checkout aborted]: /e:/temp/test_cvs/CVSROOT: no such repository

cvs -d :sspi:localhost:e:/temp/test_cvs/CVSROOT checkout e:/temp/test_cvs/CSVROOT
cvs [checkout aborted]: e:/temp/test_cvs/CVSROOT: no such repository

cvs -d :sspi:localhost:e:/temp/test_cvs/ checkout e:/temp/test_cvs/CSVROOT
cvs [checkout aborted]: e:/temp/test_cvs/: no such repository

> 5) Now go to the CVSNT control panel and define the top of the tree
> (the folder where you copied your project folder into) as a
> repository.

I have this in the CVSNT control panel:
Location: E:/Work/test_cvsnt
Name: E:\Work\test_cvsnt

Is this Ok?

The directory structure is following:
E:\temp\test_cvs\
E:\temp\test_cvs\CVSROOT
E:\temp\test_cvs\CVSROOT\Z\
E:\temp\test_cvs\CVSROOT\Z\Work\
More subdirectories are available in the project,
but are unnecessary to mention here.

I think, repository in case above is:
E:\temp\test_cvs\

> 6) Now finally using the cvs client you will be able to check out the
> project from this converted repository (provided that the RCS files
> are compatible with CVS as I believe they are).
> Of course using a sane command like
>   cvs -d :sspi:localhost:/repo myproject

In this case I suppose the command should be the following:
cvs -d :sspi:localhost:e:/temp/test_cvs checkout e:/temp/test_cvs

However it says:
cvs [checkout aborted]: e:/temp/test_cvs: no such repository

Something is still not good.
Still did something wrong?

Thanks,
Webmaster33