[cvsnt] Re: Absolute module reference invalid error

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at telia.com
Tue May 23 20:54:02 BST 2006

On Tue, 23 May 2006 20:34:50 +0200, "Webmaster33"
<webmaster33 at gmail.com> wrote:

>> This guide actually works and on it you can find download links to the
>> latest version too:
>>  http://web.telia.com/~u86216177/InstallCVSNT25.html
>
>I know your guide, I followed it.
>However it doesn't tell anything about RCS to CVS conversion.

Of course not, this is really an oddball thing. First time in 5 years
for me with CVSNT it has surfaced...

>> To find its verison is simple in a command window:
>> c:\>cvs ver
>> Concurrent Versions System (CVSNT) 2.5.03 (Scorpio) Build 2330
>> (client/server)
>
>The result is unfortunately:
>E:\temp\test_perforce>cvs ver
>cvs version: No CVSROOT specified!  Please use the `-d' option
>cvs [version aborted]: or set the CVSROOT environment variable.

This CVSROOT is not needed, however you may type cvs --ver instead.
It will be a lot more verbose but the first lines should show the
version.
This test is done to make sure you don't have another cvs.exe on your
path in front of cvsnt. Has happened before, for example with cygwin
being installed....

>E:\temp\test_perforce>cvs ver -d e:/temp/test_cvs/
>cvs version: No CVSROOT specified!  Please use the `-d' option
>cvs [version aborted]: or set the CVSROOT environment variable.
>
>> Well, with this you are not using your server at all....
>> A more appropriate approach would be to use
>>   cvs -d :sspi:localhost:/repo checkout mymodule
>> where /repo is the configured repository served by the CVSNT server
>> and mymodule is a module in that repository.
>
>Results are still bad:
>cvs -d :sspi:localhost:/e:/temp/test_cvs checkout e:/temp/test_cvs
>cvs [checkout aborted]: /e:/temp/test_cvs: no such repository

You *cannot* specify a repository and a module as an absolute path!!!
After localhost: there should be a registered repository name as it is
configured in the CVSNT control panel and described in my tutorial.

>> 5) Now go to the CVSNT control panel and define the top of the tree
>> (the folder where you copied your project folder into) as a
>> repository.
>
>I have this in the CVSNT control panel:
>Location: E:/Work/test_cvsnt
>Name: E:\Work\test_cvsnt
>
>Is this Ok?
No, it is not!
You should set the Name to:
Name:  /test
Notice no absolute path and *no* backslashes!

>The directory structure is following:
>E:\temp\test_cvs\
>E:\temp\test_cvs\CVSROOT
>E:\temp\test_cvs\CVSROOT\Z\
>E:\temp\test_cvs\CVSROOT\Z\Work\
>More subdirectories are available in the project,
>but are unnecessary to mention here.

This does not compare to what you stated above....
Location: E:/Work/test_cvsnt is <> E:/temp/test_cvs

The *repository* structure starts from E:/Work/test_cvsnt and not from
E:\temp!!!

>> 6) Now finally using the cvs client you will be able to check out the
>> project from this converted repository (provided that the RCS files
>> are compatible with CVS as I believe they are).
>> Of course using a sane command like
>>   cvs -d :sspi:localhost:/repo myproject
>
>In this case I suppose the command should be the following:
>cvs -d :sspi:localhost:e:/temp/test_cvs checkout e:/temp/test_cvs

No, no, no, no..... (sigh)
cvs -d :sspi:localhost:/test myproject

Again you are trtying to enter an absolute path!!! Not allowed!

Inside the repository top folder E:/Work/test_cvsnt you have a folder
CVSROOT. Additionally for each project you want to store you will have
another *folder* containing all of the project files (the RCS versions
of course). It is this folder name you have to supply as the myproject
entry.
CVSNT will gram the repository name from your command (the part after
localhost: and look up the real path to the repository, in this case
it will get E:/Work/test_cvsnt. Then it will add the module name you
supplied to get to a repository physical path (that normally is
unknown by the users) as E:/Work/test_cvsnt/myproject
Then it will send you the files in this folder.

But giving a command like yours will totally confuse the system and
the result is the error message you saw.

HTH

/Bo
(Bo Berglund, developer in Sweden)