[cvsnt] Re: force revision in cvs

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at telia.com
Thu May 25 12:56:48 BST 2006

On Thu, 25 May 2006 15:43:21 +0530, "Nithin Kumar K"
<nithin.kumar at semsoftindia-samsung.com> wrote:

>Hii.
>
>When I commit my files, automatically the cvs server changes the revision
>from 1.1 to 1.2,
>
>How can I change the CVS Revision from 1.x to 2.x using force revision/force
>committing?

You can't anymore. THis function thta had no real use in old CVS has
been removed because it confuses a lot of things. Revision numbers are
totally managed by the CVS server and should be regarded as internal
implementation details of no concern to the user.
It is only a counter for how many different versions of the file has
been committed on a particular branch, after all and has no use
outside CVS.

Do not confuse a revision number with a program version number!
Version numbers are handled using tags and apply to all files that
contribute to the particular program version. In a typical project
there are more than one file involved and these files *never* have the
same revision, so the only way to bind them together is by the use of
a common tag.

HTH

/Bo
(Bo Berglund, developer in Sweden)