[cvsnt] Re: Help! Upgrading to CVSNT 2.5.03

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at telia.com
Thu May 25 22:36:33 BST 2006

On Thu, 25 May 2006 22:23:09 +0100, Tim Chippington Derrick
<tim at chippingtonderrick.co.uk> wrote:

>OK, I completely uninstalled both versions of CVSNT, rebooted,
>installed a clean CVSNT 2.5.03 in C:\CVSNT\ and did another reboot.
>Again the control panel gives me access to the CVSNT settings fine as
>before. But I still can't get access to the cvsnt server. I tried
>using :sspi and I just get the following error:
>
>Can't authenticate - server and client cannot agree on an
>authentication scheme (got '')
>
>What am I doing wrong now? I can still access the other cvsnt 2.0.51
>servers on the other machines here with either sspi or pserver as
>before, but not the new one. I can't see what is going wrong...

Domain settings might be playing up in this case.
A few questions:
-What is the operating system of your CVSNT server?
-Is there a domain in the network where you are setting up?
-Is the CVSNT server a member of that domain?
-Is the client computer also a member of that domain?
-Is the user logged on that PC using the domain account?

In the CVSNT control panel there is an entry for the default domain on
the "Server Settings" page. If this does not correspond to the domain
of the user accessing cvs then the access will be denied. Very
important setting, I'm afraid.

You have to set it to one of the real domains or else to the PC name
of the CVSNT server itself.
Then *all* users logging on will be validated against that domain.

I'm not sure I can explain this relly well...
But if you set the value to the name of your domain and then a user
accesses CVS from a workstation using sspi his user account name on
that PC will be transferred to CVSNT in the form DOMAIN\account. If
the DOMAIN part matches the CVSNT setting then the domain will be
dropped by CVSNT and it will go on only using the account name. But if
there is no match then the full name will be used and now there must
exist a trust between the CVSNT server and the domain attached to the
connecting account.
At least this is approoximately how I understand the system....

HTH

/Bo
(Bo Berglund, developer in Sweden)