[cvsnt] CVSNT Control Panel not working

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at telia.com
Sat May 27 14:42:27 BST 2006

On Sat, 27 May 2006 13:56:26 +0200, "Webmaster33"
<webmaster33 at gmail.com> wrote:
>Installer built by Bo Berglund gave me big hopes, because it was
>supposed that will fix the Control Panel issues. His website was
>the first place, where I got information about this bug, telling:
>"This installer now includes the MFC71U.dll file that was missing
>before and caused the Control Panel icon to not show up."
>http://web.telia.com/~u86216177/cvsntinstaller.html
>
>Maybe I did something wrong, but the
>http://web.telia.com/~u86216177/cvsnt-2.5.3.2330.zip
>package still did not fix my Control Panel issue.
>I hope that this problem will be solved soon.

I have installed all the latest versions of CVSNT and then some, on
various operating systems from NT4 (no longer used though), Win2KPro,
Win2Kserver, XP-Pro, W2003-various levels and in no case except that
one indicated by you were there any problems with the control panel.
The problem that manifested itself was that the CVSNT CP did not
register inside the regular CP. But the shortcut to it in the cvsnt
program group still worked.

Also please note that cvsnt server is not supported at all on Win9x,
WinME or XP-Home!

I suggest there is something weird in your own PC, maybe some AV or
malware software or policy set wrong.
In any case I fail to agree on your definition of a bug, when it
cannot be repeated by anyone else....

>WINCVS Latest Development Release, WinCvs 2.0.3 was released
>on 2006-02-21. It still has the cvsnt-2.0.51d server version bundled
>into the package, which was relased in 15-Sep-2004.
>They must have a very good reason, to still pack the 2 year old
>2.0.51d server setup, and I think this is the Control Panel issue.

It is *not* the reason! The reason is that the lead WinCvs developer
hates the Windows Installer type of install that CVSNT started using
when March Hare took over development. There was a discussion at the
time and the outcome was that I have tried to still maintain the
Innosetup installer while March Hare publishes the MSI one.
There was never any control panel issue involved in this decision, and
for good reason: noone else had any problems...
WinCvs still bundles the Innosetup installer that was current at the
time, even though they could have switched to 2.0.58, which is the
official baseline before 2.5. However, 2.0.58 has a serious taginfo
script handling bug so that might have been the reason for not
including it...

HTH

/Bo
(Bo Berglund, developer in Sweden)