[cvsnt] CVSNT Control Panel not working

Webmaster33 webmaster33 at gmail.com
Sat May 27 15:52:57 BST 2006

> I have installed all the latest versions of CVSNT and then some, on
> various operating systems from NT4 (no longer used though), Win2KPro,
> Win2Kserver, XP-Pro, W2003-various levels and in no case except that
> one indicated by you were there any problems with the control panel.

Oh, so this is only a rare bug.
BTW, I do use Windows XP Pro + SP2.

> The problem that manifested itself was that the CVSNT CP did not
> register inside the regular CP. But the shortcut to it in the cvsnt
> program group still worked.

Yes, I noted, that "CVSNT CP did not register inside the regular CP".
I said, no problem, I'll try through the shortcut in the cvsnt program
group, but that one still failed to start.

I also tried to run CVSNT.cpl through the cmd, but no success.
C:\Winprg\cvsnt\CVSNT.cpl

My XP is installed into C:\WinXP\ directory, that may be the only
thing which may affect the installation.

I use ZoneAlarm as firewall, and have antivir siftware installed,
too, but I would excude them as origin on the CP problem.

I have several things registered into CPanel, like Quicktime
or Lavalys Everest software, but none of them had CP registering
problems.

I will try my best to track down this CP issue.
Just let me know your wishes, what to test...

> In any case I fail to agree on your definition of a bug, when it
> cannot be repeated by anyone else....

We will see if this is really a bug in CVSNT installer or not.
If something else is causing, then it is still a compatibility bug.
Anyway it is reproducible for me for all 2.5 & 2.5 versions.
Let we try to track down, what is causing the problem, so
you could reproduce the case.

> It is *not* the reason! The reason is that the lead WinCvs developer
> hates the Windows Installer type of install that CVSNT started using
> when March Hare took over development.

I have already no problem with msi installers, as I was forced
to use msi installers by the ActiveState software, too.
However I aggree, that I like better the one-file installers,
and even better those software, which can be installed
with a simple copy process, without the need of an installer.

I will use that CVSNT version, which can support me a working CP,
no matter if is separate installer or msi.
Currently this is the outdated, but working v2.0.51d.

Thanks,
W33