[cvsnt] Strange behaviour of cvs status on a VMWare server...

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at telia.com
Tue Nov 7 21:11:37 GMT 2006

On Mon, 23 Oct 2006 19:10:59 +0200, Bo Berglund
<bo.berglund at telia.com> wrote:

>Question:
>Is this behaviour caused by some incompatibility between CVSNT and
>VWWare Virtual Server virtual machines? It sure seems so since the
>hardware server did not have this problem that we know of.
>Has anyone else seen any problems with such a configuration?

To close this thread I can report the following:
We bit the bullet and the IT department gave me a brand new virtual
machine installed with Windows 2003.
On this I installed all of the components I have been using before but
this time I did it from the ground up and configured everything to be
the same as the old server.
I used CVSNT 2382 installed using the MSI installer from the CVSNT
Wiki.

End result:
The server runs just fine! :-)
No more networking problems and lost packets and the CVSMailer emails
are sent as required. I also installed Apache 2.0.59 instead of using
IIS for ViewCvs and it worked just fine too.

So I guess the problems were caused by the way the IT department
migrated the old Win 2000 server by ghosting it and then installing
the ghost image into a VMWare virtual machine.

Best approach:
Install the server components from scratch and then only copy over the
data from the old server.

HTH

/Bo
(Bo Berglund, developer in Sweden)