[cvsnt] Question Regarding CVS folder and Import command

Gabriel Genellina gagsl-cvsnt at yahoo.com.ar
Thu Nov 16 01:45:12 GMT 2006

At Wednesday 15/11/2006 19:12, Ron Buchholz wrote:

>* When one checks out a full repository (ie, co -P .) a CVS folder is created
>at the module level.
>* When one checks out a single module, no CVS folder is created at
>the _module_
>level.

I think you mean the CVS directory is created "in the directory from
where the cvs command was invoked".
When checking out a single module, that directory (and not its
parent) becomes CVS-controlled. Imagine you retrieve a single module
B, when working from directory A. That is, you get A/B, and A/B/CVS.
And it's OK as you only want to work in B: you can execute "cvs
update" inside B (and get all new files and updates and such). You
can't do "cvs update" from A, because you don't have a CVS directory
there. But, if you also had a directory A/CVS, doing "cvs update"
from A would not only update A/B, but all the other modules you
didn't check out the first time, which is not usually what you want.

>* After one has checked out all of the modules (say, one by one), the results
>of this activity are not the same as checking out the repository all at once
>(you are missing the CVS folder using this method).

Exactly.
Buying a dozen eggs one by one is not the same as buying them all at
once: you don't get the nice container, by example.

>Is the "import" command the only way to create a module?

I think so, but you don't have to actually import the module
contents. You can "import" an empty module, and then use "add" to
populate it. See the Chapter 4 on the CVSNT manual; btw, that's how
TortoiseCVS creates a new module.

--
Gabriel Genellina
Softlab SRL