[cvsnt] Question Regarding CVS folder and Import command

Ron Buchholz ronbuchholz at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 16 20:31:32 GMT 2006

Hi Gabriel-

Ok, I understand that an import can be just an empty module and populated
later, or it can be a module with content. Good. But is import the *only* way
one should be creating a module (empty or otherwise).

Tony, et al?

Here's why I'm looking for answers...

With the GUIs we use (SmartCVS and TortoiseCVS, btw), if a complete repository
is checked out, the CVS folder is created where all of the modules are placed.
If a CVS folder is created, both GUIs no longer provide the ability to import
(or create) a "module" in that folder. They both expect you to add and commit
the module there.

If that CVS folder is *not* present in the directory where you hold all of
those modules, both GUIs provide the "Import" (or make new module) function to
create the module.

Who cares? Well, if I want to control who can create modules, I was expecting
to trap on the "import" command in the precommand trigger, assuming that import
was always used to create a module. As my example above shows, sometimes it's
import, sometimes it's add and commit, depending on how the folder was
populated. Once the module is created, no problems, anyone can start filling it
- I only want to control its creation.

(I originally asked the SmartCVS team these questions but quickly found that
this is CVSNT-related.)

Much thanks for any clues,
ronb