[cvsnt] newbie asks 2.5.03 upgrade consequences

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at telia.com
Tue Nov 21 07:05:31 GMT 2006

On Mon, 20 Nov 2006 22:01:22 +0000, Tony Hoyle
<tony.hoyle at march-hare.local> wrote:

>Bo Berglund wrote:
>> Unfortunately the MSI installer does not do what you expect it to do
>> if you go the Custom way and change the install path...
>> It also depends on the build number of CVSNT, I found today that this
>> happens:
>> 2382:
>> Works OK, if you set it to c:\programs\cvsnt\ the files wind up there
>>
>> 2442:
>> Not OK, this installet deposits the files in c:\programs\cvsnt\CVSNT\
>
>Which is correct.  Where cvs.exe itself goes is irrelevant.   cvsnt *is*
>stored in the location you specify.  It has a lot of dependencies and
>the .exe is just one element.
>
>> 2471:
>> Not OK, here the end folder is c:\programs\cvsnt\CVS Tools\
>
>Also correct.  I changed it precisely because you were complaining about
>the earlier build having two CVSNT directories.

I was complaining that the custom install path setting was not obeyed!
If I set a path to CVSNT in the custom settings like this:
c:\programs\myownpath\
then I expect the program to be deposited there and not in another
folder below that point...

For example a ViewCvs installation will break on CVSNT reinstall if
the CVS.exe moves about because it stores the location of the cvs.exe
in order to use cvsnt to pares the RCS files.
It is my firm point that if there is a custom setting for the install
path in an installer than it should be obeyed and not mangled.
The fact that the extra folder is named CVSNT or CVS Tools is
irrelevant for me, it is still another location than the one I wanted
it to go into!
And if I want a whitespace-free path (to be able to use unix tools)
then it was earlier at least possible but no since yoyu force "CVS
Tools" it will no longer work.

I really wish I could edit and use the MSI installer scripts or
convert them to InnoSetup format so that I could build my own
installer again...

>3rd party tools are unaffected because InstallPath still points to the
>location of the .exe.

Only those that use this path and only those that can cope with paths
containing whitespace....

HTH

/Bo
(Bo Berglund, developer in Sweden)