[cvsnt] --lf obsolete?

Tony Hoyle tony.hoyle at march-hare.com
Sat Sep 2 18:56:41 BST 2006

Yongwei Wu wrote:
> Since one cannot predict in advance all the consequences, I would
> prefer to make all text files have UNIX line endings under the Cygwin
>  environment.

Then run cygwin CVS (and make sure you never run a win32 tool over the
sandbox *ever* because it'll corrupt the remote repository and you won't
be a very popular person).

> I am afraid even you, the author, cannot anticipate nor prescribe all
>  possible usages of the tool you brought about.

There are choices made.  --lf is an easy one.  It has never been
documented as existing in the first place, doesn't work properly, and
breaks repositories.

If 2.5 wasn't in code freeze I'd remove the option right now to finish
the argument once and for all.

> Currently SVN has a big momentum in converting existing CVS users.
> The big advantage of CVSNT is that it is supposed to be compatible
> with CVS. At least it is the reason I choose to use CVSNT--all
> existing

--lf has nothing to do with CVS compatibility.  It exists in versions of
CVSNT for compatibility with a WinCVS option and for no other reason.

The CVS standard is to checkout text files as proper text files for the
platform it's run on, as documented in the manual.  This has always been
true, and I suspect is true of all version control systems.

To be 100% compatible with CVS you're basically saying I should remove
--lf immediately because its use is not 'compatible'.  I'm tempted to do
that.