[cvsnt] one time checkout files

Gerhard Fiedler lists at connectionbrazil.com
Mon Sep 18 12:56:11 BST 2006

Bo Berglund wrote:

> The webpage defines its own character set, right?

The character set has nothing to do with this. It is not defined in
the page, so the default utf-8 is assumed.

The web site also doesn't define any fonts (that's possibly
what you meant). The letter is in a <span class="command"> inside a <div
class="variablelist">, but no style sheet is linked, so the classes don't
have any visible effect.

> The webpage should forca a font that clearly shows the two characters
> as different in my view.

AFAIK, it's not easy to define specific fonts in web pages -- they must be
present on a user's system, and that's not easy to guarantee across
platforms and systems.

On my system/browser (Firefox on WinXP), the web page appears in Times New
Roman with a microscopic difference between the two characters. (That's
probably that same pixel difference that Glen sees :)

If you use the traditional Courier (New) for reading news, there is no
difference between a 1 and an l. Given this, I don't know how Courier could
remain the default font for so long -- especially among computer people.

You can use for example the Bitstream Vera Sans Mono instead of Courier.
See e.g. http://www.dafont.com/font.php?file=bitstream_vera_mono

Unluckily I don't find this font as readable as Courier. They really should
alter the 1 in Courier to be different from the l... :)

In Windows, there's also Terminal, but it isn't TrueType and AFAIK doesn't
support many Unicode code points. Any other suggestions?

Gerhard