[cvsnt] Problems with text/binary *.rtf files

David Somers dsomers at omz13.com
Mon Sep 25 18:04:37 BST 2006

Thomas Muller wrote:

> CVS gurus,
>
> I have some problems with *.rtf files - when I add them as text they
> become corrupt - MS Word fails to read the files. If I try to force them
> into CVS as binary (-kb), they are still showing up as encoding 'text' and
> MS Word still can't read them.

rtf files are text files, not binary files.

> The work-around for the time being is to use 'doc' which seems to work
> fine - CVS inserts them correctly as 'binary'. The ideal situation is to
> use rtf and insert as text (which rtf in fact is) and utilize CVS tags
> such as $Revision$, $Name$,
> $Author$ etc.

Have you checked that your rtf files are really rtf files and haven't
suddenly become native Word format files?

> We actually have the same problem with Symbian *.sis files - they are
> interpreted as text by CVS, regardless of using "add as binary" from the
> CVS client - and are consequently corrupted when files are being checked
> out again.

Did you add an entry for your sis files into CVSROOT/cvswrappers?

> Client: Windows XP Pro, WinCVS 2.0.2.4 (Build 4)

So you're adding these files using cvsnt from the command line... or using
cvsnt via WinCVS? If the latter, I'd say its something to do with how
you've configured WinCVS.

> Server: Win 2003 Server, CVSNT 2.5.03 (Scorpio) Build 2151

You might want to upgrade your server... build 2382 is latest stable.

--
David Somers
typographer/programmer/whatever