[cvsnt] Branch creation takes a long time

Colin Fraser colin.fraser at levelfour.com
Fri Apr 6 14:22:53 BST 2007

Thanks for the response.

The original thinking behind creating so many branches was that we could
have a unique branch for every bug fix or new piece of development work
making every change atomic. This means that if a customer decides they do
not want to include a particular fix in their build it is possible for us to
create a patch only containing the specific fixes they are interested in.

This approach worked well initially but as CVSNT has slowed down we are
spending more time waiting for branches to be created than actually working
on the development! :-)

We also use branches for testing; when we are testing a release candidate we
merge the relevant bug fixes onto another new branch for testing.  Once this
is complete we make a final merge of all changes back to the main release
branch.

I'd welcome any feedback on these arrangements and will keep an eye out for
the 2.5.04 release.

Regards,

Colin