[cvsnt] Hi (Some questions)

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at telia.com
Thu Apr 12 22:51:50 BST 2007

On Thu, 12 Apr 2007 09:47:02 +1000, "Arthur Barrett"
<arthur.barrett at march-hare.com> wrote:

>Bo,
>
>>>  3. Why CVSNT Server should be stopped before creating the Repository?
>>>  http://www.cvsnt.org/wiki/InstallationTips  defining ur repository
>>>

>> This is *really* old!
>> Look here instead, it is at least dealing with the 2.5.03
>> CVSNT server!
>>
>> http://web.telia.com/~u86216177/InstallCVSNT25.html
>

>I'm starting to get concerned that so much of the cvsnt.org content is
>"out of date" that if has a negative impact on the softwares adoption.
>
>Tony has had numerous attempts at encouraging people (directly or via
>open invites) to work on this, and the Wiki is supposedly easy to edit,
>but still no changes come.

I tried the WIKI long time ago (see below) but found it really hard to
work with compared to my old and proven editor (UltraEdit, no less)...

>I realise that your pages are more about he InnoSetup version, but I'm
>thinking that our options to "fix" this are coming down to:
>a) delete all cvsnt.org pages except the download page, and new links to
>"useful docs" like the manual and your pages (um - that'd be about it I
>think)
>b) "copy and paste" your pages into the wiki (with perhaps some new
>screenshots for the MSI installer).
>
>What's your opinion on this?

Arthur,
first off as you know I have discontinued building and publishing an
InnoSetup version of the CVSNT installer, so it makes sense to redo
that part of the document with better screenshots of the actual MSI
installer.
The document is only at the start dealing with the installer, once it
is installed the main part concerns configuration stuff for the CVSNT
server, so InnoSetup is not really a major issue here.

I could probably do the screenshot change given some spare time
(scarce these days).
But I have a problem with the WIKI; once upon a time I tried to
actually write and update a few pages (I did the migration page from
Linux to Windows for example). But I never got on good terms with the
WIKI editor so I preferred to hand-code HTML on my own website
instead.
If you could get me FTP access to the CVSNT server I could upload the
description pages there instead. But updating to the WIKI format and
using the browser interface to build it is not for me, I think.

It makes sense that these documents are really hosted on cvsnt.org
rather than my cryptic telia address (which also might disappear if I
change ISP).

HTH

/Bo
(Bo Berglund, developer in Sweden)