[cvsnt] cvs status

Gerhard Fiedler lists at connectionbrazil.com
Fri Apr 13 13:58:21 BST 2007

Dries Feys wrote:

> I'm making a reporting application for the developers where I need to see
> all the files edited and unknown to CVS. I can accomplish this through
> both cvs status -q -q -R and cvs update -n -q. However, when a file is in
> edit (we use watched to force every developer to do an edit before they
> start editing), but not modified yet, it still mentions that the partical
> file is "up-to-date". Is there a way to see that this file is no longer
> read-only (but preferrable another way than checking the read-only flag,
> because we have several thousand files, and I don't feel the urge to check
> them one by one, because the developer wants to see his report as fast as
> possible)

If your policy is strictly observed, you should get all files you're
interested in with one local loop through the directory tree just by
looking at the read-only flag.

I think both the cvsnt server and the cvsnt client have to touch all files
one by one and read parts of their content when you run cvs status or cvs
update. I'm pretty sure that this is slower than just looping through the
local directory tree and looking at the read-only flag.

Gerhard