[cvsnt] cvs status

Dries Feys dries.feys at tvh.be
Fri Apr 13 16:15:45 BST 2007

cvsnt-bounces at cvsnt.org wrote on 13/04/2007 09:58:21:

> Dries Feys wrote:
>
> > I'm making a reporting application for the developers where I need to
see
> > all the files edited and unknown to CVS. I can accomplish this through

> > both cvs status -q -q -R and cvs update -n -q. However, when a file is
in
> > edit (we use watched to force every developer to do an edit before
they
> > start editing), but not modified yet, it still mentions that the
partical
> > file is "up-to-date". Is there a way to see that this file is no
longer
> > read-only (but preferrable another way than checking the read-only
flag,
> > because we have several thousand files, and I don't feel the urge to
check
> > them one by one, because the developer wants to see his report as fast
as
> > possible)
>
> If your policy is strictly observed, you should get all files you're
> interested in with one local loop through the directory tree just by
> looking at the read-only flag.
>
> I think both the cvsnt server and the cvsnt client have to touch all
files
> one by one and read parts of their content when you run cvs status or
cvs
> update. I'm pretty sure that this is slower than just looping through
the
> local directory tree and looking at the read-only flag.
Yes, indeed it goes much much faster to read the read-only flag, BUT when
an edited file is changed by another user, and some fancy scheduled task
merges those modifications in your file which is beeing edited, the
read-only flag get read-only again. You have to re-edit that file again.
With other words : some files may not apear in the list. (unless I can set
cvsnt that the file remains r/w after a succesfull merge)

Another issue is that they want to see whether the "editable" files are
new files, not known to cvs yet or cvs-files in edit, but that I can check
with the files in the CVS subdirectory. (Is the exact meaning & lay-out of
those files somewhere documented?)