[cvsnt] cvs [checkout aborted]: writing ...

Arthur Barrett arthur.barrett at march-hare.com
Fri Aug 31 05:15:18 BST 2007

Stefan,

>> I have the problem that out sandboxes are on a network share, and
>> cvs-actions on files which are larger than 64MB fail with following
>> message:
>>       cvs [checkout aborted]: writing ..... invalid argument
>>
>> We use cvsnt 2.5.04 (Zen) Build 2471 and Wincvs.
>
> We have the same problem here with 2.5.03.2382, 2.5.03.2704
> and 2.5.04.2471. The problem is independent of the server OS
> (samba or Windows). There is a difference for client machines:
> WinXP 64bit has this problem with files greater than 32MByte,
> WinXP 32bit fails with files greater than 64MByte.

Thanks for searching the archive for finding a previous report - however please also read the FAQ for material to supply with a bug report.  Also the bit in the FAQ about support for sandboxes on network shares:
http://www.march-hare.com/cvspro/faq/faq2.asp#2z

Ensure virus scanning is disabled on the server and client, then enable "server side tracing" on the server and run the command with a trace:
cvs -ttt up

Look at the part of the trace just before the error message and that should explain what is going on.

If you cannot spot it then send the last part of the trace to the newsgroup (not as an attachment) and send the whole trace to my direct e-mail address.

I always use network shares myself and store a lot of large work docs in the repo and have never seen this problme - so it's something outside of CVS (most likely virus scanning, but it could just be a bad network connection).

Regards,

Arthur