[cvsnt] timeout time for cvslockd file locks?

Mark Johnson amarkjohnson at gmail.com
Mon Dec 3 19:03:49 GMT 2007

Tony Hoyle wrote:

*> There were certain badly behaved autobuild
> systems that used 'cvs log' to determine the state of the file every
> couple of minutes. Those could bog down the server completely if they
> had more than one operation running.. however I haven't heard anything
> relating to them recently so either they've been fixed or they're not used.*

We are using one of those badly behaved autobuild systems
(CruiseControl).  What has me confused is that the machine which holds
the lock appears to be also tagging, not in the process of doing a
"log".  Does a log operation lock?  Would a log operation (from
another client machine) cause the tag to slow down so much that it
might take 20+ seconds to complete a tag of a single file? Is there a
good way for me to verify this? or to get information (in a controlled
environment) on how long the locks are held during a tag?

We have not upgraded our cruisecontrol for a while, so I have no idea
if this behavior has been changed.  Is there a better way to determine
if a change has occurred, and what that change is?  I can add a
post-commit operation to touch a file, indicating a change, but how
would my build system know which file(s) have changed in any given
automated build?

Thanks for your feedback Tony,

Mark