[cvsnt] Help creating a custom module (modules or modules2)

Matt Schuckmann matt at schuckmannacres.com
Wed Feb 7 22:11:20 GMT 2007

I'm trying to create a custom module for our build tool.

Our physical (real) repository looks something like this (simplified
structure):

Source/Sub1
Source/Sub2
Source/Sub3
Source/Sub4
Documentation/Doc1
Documentation/Doc2
Documentation/Doc3
Libs/Lib1
Libs/Lib2
Libs/Lib3

I'd like to be able to create something like this:
Build/Source/Sub1
Build/Source/Sub3
Build/Documentation/Doc2
Build/Libs/Lib1
Build/Libs/Lib3

I've been able to create and checkout this structure with both the
modules and modules2 mechanisms but after that things fall apart.

The problem with the modules mechanism is once the sandbox is created
cvs seems to forget all about the Build module and if you do something
like "cvs up -d" (which our build tool does) in the Build directory it
goes and checks out all the directories I didn't want created and that
makes the sandbox much bigger than is needed and makes the build tool
run much slower.

The problem with the modules2 mechanism is the rlog and ls commands
don't seem to work with modules defined in modules2 (I'll bet that rtag
doesn't work either) and our build tool (CruiseControl.NET) relies on
rlog to detect changes.

At this point I'm ready to give up and go back to a hand rolled checkout
and update script but I thought I'd ask the community to see if I'm
missing something and if there is a way to make it work with either
modules or modules2.

Thanks
Matt S.

Here is what we have in our