[cvsnt] Help creating a custom module (modules or modules2)

Glen Starrett glen.starrett at march-hare.com
Thu Feb 8 00:06:43 GMT 2007

Matt Schuckmann wrote:
> The problem with the modules mechanism is once the sandbox is created
> cvs seems to forget all about the Build module and if you do something
> like "cvs up -d" (which our build tool does) in the Build directory it
> goes and checks out all the directories I didn't want created and that
> makes the sandbox much bigger than is needed and makes the build tool
> run much slower.

I think that's because of the way CVS handles the modules (and modules2)
files -- they are really an alias for additional work on the command
line at checkout and not really used after that.

I believe the EVS project is getting a better handle on this type of
system virtualization.  You might want to grab a copy and see how it's
coming along to give some early feedback, to make sure your needs are met.

> At this point I'm ready to give up and go back to a hand rolled checkout
> and update script but I thought I'd ask the community to see if I'm
> missing something and if there is a way to make it work with either
> modules or modules2.

I might suggest you tear your physical structure down even further --
down to individual modules that you then reassemble into with modules[2]
into both the current structure (I assume the current physical structure
is being used) and into the desired build structure.  That should
probably work (but I haven't tried it).

--
Glen Starrett
Technical Account Manager, North America

http://march-hare.com/cvspro/