[cvsnt] cvsnt for word doc version control

Tim Chippington Derrick tim at chippingtonderrick.co.uk
Sat Feb 10 12:31:08 GMT 2007

I hate to keep going on about this, but it is a real issue for me.
Nobody has to convince me of anything about CVSNT - I've been using
it for years and don't see myself changing to anything else anytime
soon. I'd love to use word doc generated from ASCII text sources tc,
but virtually nobody else around me sees this as a problem. If you'll
bear with me I'll relate a recent classic example:

We started another project recently (last autumn). We had a big
meeting at the start of the project about version and configuration
management. I argued strongly for CVSNT and a text-based
documentation system, or even using VSS (the agreed project standard
:-(  Yuk) for the project documentation, but was over-ruled. What was
mandated by the project team was keeping using MS Word, Excel, Visio
etc documents and using the (manually decided) version number as part
of the file name on our own desktop PCs; the master version is
supposed to be on Sharepoint, but only the PM has write access (to
keep control of the versioning). [Note: I' m sure you can see where
this is going...]. Anyway, the meeting minutes were written up by the
PM and called version 1.0 ad circulated to the project team. Several
of the team duly read the notes, and added their own comments and
corrections and submitted their own changes, some labelled as version
1.0 and some as v1.1 - so we now had several different v1.0 and v1.1
files. The PM diligently merged the differences by hand in MS Word.
This was placed in Sharepoint as the official v1.1 doc. Later, some
more changes were made by various people on their v1.1 documents
(comments about other's comments etc...) - but unfortunately not all
on the same v1.1 document. When these got merged, the job wasn't
perfect either. So we ended up with a right mess, with multiple
different versions of the document being labelled v1.1 and v1.2. And
don't forget that this was the document that was supposed to be
defining how document version control was to be managed!

Somebody please give me the strength to carry on living with this...

Tim