[cvsnt] Forcing binary behavior

Glen Starrett glen.starrett at march-hare.com
Thu Feb 15 20:43:58 GMT 2007

Nick Duane wrote:
> What I'm looking for is for
> CVSNT to treat the map as it does the exe and pdb and when I do a diff just
> indicate whether the files are different or not but don't actually attempt
> to show the diffs.  Is there a way to get this behavior?

There is a good chance that retrieving the map file from CVS will lead
to a corrupt version of the file at this point.  Use caution if you need
to rely on that file.

See the cvswrappers (server config file in the CVSROOT directory of your
repository) for information on how to set files to default to binary.

See the add command to learn how to do this at the time they are added.

See the update command to learn how to change the current attributes
going forward for existing files.

Also note there are some who argue that derived files (exe, dll, etc --
anything that is generated from compiling source) do not belong in CVS.
  Others say special revisions do (e.g. releases).  I can agree
arguments in either direction, depending on the situation.

Regards,

--
Glen Starrett
Technical Account Manager, North America

http://march-hare.com/cvspro/