[cvsnt] FW: cvs update - "Numeric Directory Tags not allowed".

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at telia.com
Wed Feb 21 10:21:05 GMT 2007

On Wed, 21 Feb 2007 15:04:15 +0530, "Sanjeev, Neeraja \(GE Infra,
Energy\)" <neeraja.sanjeev at ge.com> wrote:

>I recently installed the 2.5.03.2382 version of CVSNT. I am not able to
>get the previous versions of checked in files using the update command.
>
>I executed the command -      cvs update -l -r 1.1
>
>It returns an error "Numeric Directory Tags not allowed".
>
>The same command used to work with earlier version of CVS.
>
>CVNT product version -   2.5.03.2382
>
>Client & Server Operating System version, Service Pack Level - Microsoft
>Windows XP Professional
>Version 2002
>Service Pack 2.
>
>Please help to fix this error.

It is not an error it is by design!

Allowed syntax:
cvs update -r <numeric revision such as 1.12> filename
or
cvs update -r tagname filename
or
cvs update -r tagname

The first command updates a specific file to a revision number and is
valid for single files. It is not valid as a general directory-wide
command on many files because the revision (= numeric tag) might not
even exist for many of the files.

The following commands use a tag that has been placed on a snapshot of
files sometime in the past and retrieve these files at the revisions
they carried at the time of the tag.

HTH

/Bo
(Bo Berglund, developer in Sweden)