[cvsnt] US Daylight Savings schedule change in 2007

David Somers dsomers at omz13.com
Fri Jan 19 14:41:17 GMT 2007

Kerry, Richard wrote:

> Of course for some of us, indeed many of us, the US Daylight saving time
> arrangements are completely irrelevant.....

:-)

> The UK arrangements are, I believe, technically at the whim of the
> Admiralty, and hence not strictly predictable at all.  Although in
> practice they are published a bit in advance (though UK diaries tend to
> state that they are not confirmed at the time of publishing), and do
> tend to correspond to some European standard.

Its not a standard per se, but a directive (e.g. 97/44/EC, 2000/84/EC).

> This is all to say that no bit of software, CVS or otherwise, should
> attempt to predict any of this, or be written with any assumption about
> where the user is situated, or what time it is.
> And indeed as far as I know, the only time that CVSNT uses is the UTC
> (or GMT) time.  Local times are displayed by arrangement with the OS.

Internally cvsnt work with UTC... and this is converted to local time by the
c/c++ run time libraries which either do the convertion themselves or pass
the buck to the OS (it depends on your platform/os/etc.)

--
David Somers - typographer/programmer/whatever
Random (and sometimes useful) stuff blogged at http://www.omz13.com