[cvsnt] Several questions on cvs usage

Gerhard Fiedler lists at connectionbrazil.com
Fri Jul 20 20:01:30 BST 2007

Chuck Kirschman wrote:

> But there are a number of guides, books, and quick references that don't
> seem to refer to cvs stat as the technique for determining this
> information.

I think one of the problems of working with cvsnt is that most information
you find online is about cvs, and cvsnt is by now sufficiently different
from standard cvs that you can't just use that information without
double-checking in the cvsnt manual.

> More importantly to me, what is "globally un-ignore"?  This sounds very
> useful.  I want it to globally un-ignore everything except the CVS files
> and directories.  Junk in the source tree is always, always wrong.  It
> is the sign of an errant build process, or worse.  I have "update -I!"
> in my .cvsrc, but -I! doesn't work with "cvs status".  And it means that
> update won't ignore the CVS directories and .# files, which are the only
> acceptable things.

See <http://www.cvsnt.org/manual/html/cvsignore.html>.

The "!" works in the various cvsignore files (on a line by itself, IIRC) in
the same way it works with the -I option in that it makes cvsnt discard
everything that has been specified before in the chain of reading ignore
entries.

So if you have control of the server, you can disable the built-in list by
using "!" on the first line in CVSROOT/cvsignore, followed by whatever you
want to auto-ignore. If you don't have control of the server, you still can
do the same in your local ~/.cvsignore.

FWIW, I have a Firefox bookmarklet that allows me to quickly search the
cvsnt manual:
- Name: anything you want
- Location:
http://www.google.com/search?q=site%3Ahttp%3A%2F%2Fwww.cvsnt.org%2Fmanual%2Fhtml%2F+%s
- Keyword: cvs

Use it by typing e.g. "cvs ignore" to search the cvsnt manual for "ignore".

Gerhard