[cvsnt] Several questions on cvs usage

Chuck Kirschman Chuck.Kirschman at Nosp_am.bentley.com
Fri Jul 20 19:39:20 BST 2007

You missed the point.  cvs status is documented in the manual, but no
where that I could find does anyone ever say "use this to determine
which files you have changed".  They do say that about cvs -nq up.  If
you'll recall back to the start of this thread, Tom's whole problem is
that he doesn't know how to get a list of the files he has changed.
That is a very important operation in any RCS, and it should be
documented as to how it is done.  I'm not knocking the CVS documentation
on this; it does document the command.  But there are a number of
guides, books, and quick references that don't seem to refer to cvs stat
as the technique for determining this information.  So the deprecation
of cvs -nq up and its replacement seem to be one of the best kept
secrets of this program.  I'm just glad that you were able to divine
this information based on Tony saying that update doesn't support -n.  I
definitely didn't make that leap.

More importantly to me, what is "globally un-ignore"?  This sounds very
useful.  I want it to globally un-ignore everything except the CVS files
and directories.  Junk in the source tree is always, always wrong.  It
is the sign of an errant build process, or worse.  I have "update -I!"
in my .cvsrc, but -I! doesn't work with "cvs status".  And it means that
update won't ignore the CVS directories and .# files, which are the only
acceptable things.

Thanks
chuck