[cvsnt] How to find rogue cvs.exe???

bwhicks at aep.com bwhicks at aep.com
Fri Jun 15 14:50:35 BST 2007

cvsnt-bounces at cvsnt.org wrote on 06/15/2007 02:49:28 AM:

> I have a remote collegue who had his PC crash a few days ago. Now he is
> trying to work on a slightly older laptop. One of his tasks is to get
> CVS/WinCvs up and running on the laptop.
> I instructed him on what to install (CVSNT Client build 2382, WinCvs
> 2.1.1, ActiveStatePython, WinMerge) but he is having major problems and
> cannot get it to work.
> So I asked him to run cvs --ver on the command line and it turned up cvs
> 2.0.51d!!!!!

Isn't 2.0.51d the one that came bundled with the default version of
WinCVS? If you want one without CVS, you have to download a "bare"
version.

Also, in WinCVS, if you click the Admin menu, then choose preferences,
then click the CVS tab, you can set which cvs.exe to use. So even if there
is a rogue version somewhere on the system, you can point it to the one
you want (this won't fix the command line, though).

As a side note, I have gnu tools on my PC running Windows XP, and "which"
works great for finding the locations of an exe if it's in your PATH.

Brian