[cvsnt] How to find rogue cvs.exe???

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at telia.com
Fri Jun 15 17:26:42 BST 2007

On Fri, 15 Jun 2007 12:38:26 +0100, Tony Hoyle
<tony.hoyle at march-hare.com> wrote:

>Bo Berglund wrote:
>> I found one method, but it is a bit clumsy. I would rather like to have
>> a way to use a command like:
>>  "findpath cvs.exe"
>> or similar and then a display of *all* instances that could be found via
>> the path on the system.
>>
>> The cludge solution I found is:
>> - Create new shortcut on desktop
>> - Enter cvs.exe in "location of item" (no path!)
>> - Next and finish
>> Now open the shortcut properties and look at "Target"
>> Here is the path to the cvs.exe file.
>>
>> But it only gives a single value of course....
>
>Go onto the root of c: (and d:, etc.) and do 'dir /s cvs.exe'
>
>That should show you all copies.

I just started it and it is still running after a few minutes. Looks
like a long time process on my 200Gb drive which is nearly full...

Anyway, after thinking a bit I descided to write a tool myself to find
anything on the system and user path and inside windows.

Worked just fine.
(and searches in a fraction of a second)

I will send the tool to the collegue so he can check what is going on.

Oh, I went away to answer the door while the dir was running and it
was still active when I returned a few minutes later. But now it is
done and it found 13 instances in my PC. But that is to be expected
since I have done so much testing of cvsnt during development...

My utility will only search the path so it finds only what Windows
will find if you launch cvs.exe from the command line.

HTH

/Bo
(Bo Berglund, developer in Sweden)