[cvsnt] Edit in offline mode

Peter Geraghty Peter.Geraghty at tracegroup.com
Fri Jun 22 15:21:53 BST 2007

Having just switched to cvsnt from a different cvs client I immediately
ran into the problem that I can no longer edit or unedit when offline. I
found this discussed and dismissed 4 years ago.

As a user who is mostly offline the fact that edit creates a local copy
thus allowing a comparison of changes whilst offline, as well as ability
to unedit if necessary, is VERY valuable.  This behaviour people are
asking for is only what it says in cederqvist...

"When using client/server cvs, you can use the cvs edit and cvs unedit
commands even if cvs is unable to successfully communicate with the
server; the notifications will be sent upon the next successful cvs
command."

I see you have dropped that paragraph from your doc.

I guess I will have to investigate writing some macros to do the same
thing - this is a big disappointment - tools that just install and work
are preferable to those you have to finish off yourself.

IMO you gave the original emailer the bum's rush. And I expect no
better.  But if you're trying to keep track of what people think on this
issue, please note that offline working still happens.

Pete
Disclaimer:

The contents of this E-mail plus any attachment is intended for the use of the
addressee only and is confidential, proprietary and may be privileged. It will not be
binding upon Trace Group plc or any group company (Trace).  Opinions, conclusions,
contractual obligations and other information in this message in so far as they relate to
the official business of Trace must be specifically confirmed in writing by Trace. If you
are not the intended recipient you must not copy this message or attachment, use or
disclose the contents to any other person, but are requested to telephone or E-mail
the sender and delete the message and any attachment from your system. Trace
takes all reasonable precautions to ensure that no virus or defect is transmitted via
this e mail, however Trace accepts no responsibility for any virus or defect that might
arise from opening this E-mail or attachments.