[cvsnt] Multiple vendor branches

Johannes Kilian jo.kilian at gmx.de
Mon Mar 12 07:28:35 GMT 2007

Hi there,

as far as I understand, it should be possible to use multiple vendor
branches (as mentioned for example in the Cederqvist-Manual ...)

What I did is the following:
* Imported RELEASE of vendor software on vendorbranch 1.1.1.x
* Modified sources on the trunk 1.x
* Imported NEW RELEASE of vendor software on the same vendorbranch 1.1.1.x
* Merged from Vendorbranch 1.1.1.x to trunk 1.x

Nothing unexpected so for - that works completely as expected ...

But now the following situation occurs:
* Vendor releases a BETA of his vendor software
* I don't want to contaminate my RELEASE vendorbranch 1.1.1.x and my
derived RELEASE Trunk  1.x with this BETA, but I want to integrate it
into my development tree.

What I did:
* Imported BETA of vendor software to a second vendorbranch 1.1.3.x
* Created a BETA-userbranch from the current trunk (Branch 1.1.2.x)
* Merged the BETA vendorbranch 1.1.3.x to my BETA-userbranch 1.1.2.x (to
keep my trunk 1.x and RELEASE vendorbranch 1.1.1.x free from
BETA-related contamination ...)

This seemed to be a reasonable way for me to solve my problem.

Now the following problems occur:
* On the BETA vendorbranch 1.1.3.x some new files - which are missing in
the RELEASE-vendorbranch 1.1.1.x - are introduced
* Checking out the trunk 1.x again also the NEW FILES from
BETA-vendorbranch 1.1.3.x are checked out - the TRUNK 1.x is a mixed up
version now containing my modification and unmodified files from the
RELEASE vendorbranch 1.1.1.x (that's what I expected) AND with  new
files from the BETA vendorbranch 1.1.3.x (which I surely don't want to
have on my trunk ...)

Are there any explanantions on this behaviour and suggestions on how to
handle this situation?

Any help welcome!

Thanks

Johannes