[cvsnt] Multiple vendor branches
jo.kilian at gmx.de
Mon Mar 12 07:28:35 GMT 2007
as far as I understand, it should be possible to use multiple vendor
branches (as mentioned for example in the Cederqvist-Manual ...)
What I did is the following:
* Imported RELEASE of vendor software on vendorbranch 1.1.1.x
* Modified sources on the trunk 1.x
* Imported NEW RELEASE of vendor software on the same vendorbranch 1.1.1.x
* Merged from Vendorbranch 1.1.1.x to trunk 1.x
Nothing unexpected so for - that works completely as expected ...
But now the following situation occurs:
* Vendor releases a BETA of his vendor software
* I don't want to contaminate my RELEASE vendorbranch 1.1.1.x and my
derived RELEASE Trunk 1.x with this BETA, but I want to integrate it
into my development tree.
What I did:
* Imported BETA of vendor software to a second vendorbranch 1.1.3.x
* Created a BETA-userbranch from the current trunk (Branch 1.1.2.x)
* Merged the BETA vendorbranch 1.1.3.x to my BETA-userbranch 1.1.2.x (to
keep my trunk 1.x and RELEASE vendorbranch 1.1.1.x free from
BETA-related contamination ...)
This seemed to be a reasonable way for me to solve my problem.
Now the following problems occur:
* On the BETA vendorbranch 1.1.3.x some new files - which are missing in
the RELEASE-vendorbranch 1.1.1.x - are introduced
* Checking out the trunk 1.x again also the NEW FILES from
BETA-vendorbranch 1.1.3.x are checked out - the TRUNK 1.x is a mixed up
version now containing my modification and unmodified files from the
RELEASE vendorbranch 1.1.1.x (that's what I expected) AND with new
files from the BETA vendorbranch 1.1.3.x (which I surely don't want to
have on my trunk ...)
Are there any explanantions on this behaviour and suggestions on how to
handle this situation?
Any help welcome!
More information about the cvsnt