[cvsnt] cvs update: Cannont handle year-specific DST clues in TIME_ZONE_INFORMATION

Tony Hoyle tony.hoyle at march-hare.com
Thu Mar 15 19:55:51 GMT 2007

Alexander Mai wrote:
> Hello,
>
> a few days ago my CVS client started to output those messages:
>
> cvs update: Cannont handle year-specific DST clues in TIME_ZONE_INFORMATION
>
> I decided to update and now I'm running
> Concurrent Versions System (CVSNT) 2.5.03 (Scorpio) Build 2382
> (client/server)
> but it didn't help. The software is running on Windows XP.
>
> Does somebody understand what's going on here?

Odd... what timezone?  I actually had to grep the source for that error
because it's part of the original code done a few years back.

MSDN says "If the wYear member is not zero, the transition date is
absolute; it will only occur one time. Otherwise, it is a relative date
that occurs yearly."

I've not heard recently of a timezone that has a time shift in one year
and never again... doesn't mean it can't happen (October 1752 for
example.. 30 days went missing) but it's the kind of thing that would
generally get more news coverage...

A more likely explanation is corrupted OS timezone data - a broken fix
for the recent US DST change pergaps?

(this also means the server is running FAT which probably isn't a great
idea, given its limitations and lack of security).