[cvsnt] cvs export/checkout with tag

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at telia.com
Wed Mar 21 06:07:23 GMT 2007

On Wed, 14 Mar 2007 11:46:18 +0100, "Slothouber F (Frans) (InTraffic)"
<Frans.Slothouber at InTraffic.nl> wrote:

... snip ...

>To give more specific information:
>I created two modules: mod1 and mod2. Both have a single file and a
>directory in it.
>mod1 was tagged with a tag Mod1Tag, mod2 was tagged with a tag Mod2Tag
>
>In an empty directory I run:
>
>  C:\pws\Sandbox3>cvs export -r Mod2Tag mod1
>
>and get:
>
>  cvsnt export: Updating mod1
>  cvsnt export: Updating mod1/Test
>
>The directory stays empty though.  So no files were checked out,
>but also not error message was given about the tag.

There are no files in your output..
So the export was correct. It should not excract any files that do not
carry the tag you asked for and this is exactly what happens. No error
here.
And why should CVSNY give you an error if the export doesn't find a
particular tag? It's purpose is to give you the files that carry that
tag and it finds none so it gives you none. Correct behaviour.
Directories are not versioned or tagged so they get created.

>With a:
>
>  C:\pws\Sandbox3>cvs -t checkout -r Mod2Tag mod1
>
>I get:

... snip ...

>  cvs checkout: in directory .:
>  cvs checkout: cannot open CVS/Entries for reading: No such file or
>directory
>  11:30:20:   -> unlink_file_dir(mod1)
>
>Which gives an error message, but not the one I expected :)

This is probably caused by the fact that nothing was checked out
(nothing matched) and CVSNT did not have a check for this while
creating the admin files in xx/CVS.
But is it really an *error* message???

HTH

/Bo