[cvsnt] 200+ modules in one repo

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at telia.com
Wed Mar 21 22:03:06 GMT 2007

On Wed, 21 Mar 2007 10:17:08 +0100, "Aleksander Pahor"
<Aleksander.Pahor at hermes-softlab.com> wrote:

>That's why I was interested in problems other ppl encounter
>when managing this many modules.

200 is not *many* modules! We have probably thousands of physical
modules (a.k.a. directories) and maybe 200-300 virtual modules
defdined in the CVSROOT/modules file.
There is no performance hit on this except if you are migrating from a
version of CVSNT that did not keep track of the tags people use by
storing them in CVSROOT/valtags. If something is checked out or
exported on a tag that is not found in valtags then CVSNT will scan
the complete repository to find the tag and record it in valtags
before doing anything else. This may take a considerable amount of
time if you have many big files in your repository. (see another
thread for a discussion on this).
But apart from this there is no performance hit having many files and
modules.

HTH

/Bo
(Bo Berglund, developer in Sweden)