[cvsnt] Merge two cvs repositories

Gerhard Fiedler lists at connectionbrazil.com
Sat May 26 13:50:30 BST 2007

Youssef Mohammed wrote:

>    I have tow repositories (each with different modules ) and I want to
> merge them into one repository. How can I do this?

I've never done it, but since the RCS files in the repository (the ones
with names that end in ",v") are basically autonomous, you should basically
be fine to simply copy one repository into another.

Another thing are the meta files (in the CVS* directories).

There are the user and group setting etc. to take care of. Probably the
best would be to have all files committed and unedited, possibly even all
sandboxes released, though I don't think the latter is necessary. Then
there may be some trigger scripts in the CVSROOT directory that may need
updating to handle the new modules. And possibly ACLs to clear/set.

In any case, I think it is safe to try. If something doesn't work as
expected, you always can delete the module trees you copied in -- and still
have the old repository working.

Gerhard