[cvsnt] Merge two cvs repositories

Gabriel Genellina gagsl-cvsnt at yahoo.com.ar
Sun May 27 13:36:35 BST 2007

En Sat, 26 May 2007 09:50:30 -0300, Gerhard Fiedler
<lists at connectionbrazil.com> escribió:

> Youssef Mohammed wrote:
>
>>    I have tow repositories (each with different modules ) and I want to
>> merge them into one repository. How can I do this?
>
> I've never done it, but since the RCS files in the repository (the ones
> with names that end in ",v") are basically autonomous, you should
> basically
> be fine to simply copy one repository into another.

I did something like that a few weeks ago, moving several repositories
into a single one. As Gerhard Fiedler said, the RCS files don't need any
change, just copy the directories to its new location. Apart from that,
you need to update the configuration files (checking out the CVSROOT from
each previous repository), unify the processing scripts (like loginfo,
taginfo, etc) and reconcile the permissions (ACL).
On the clients, the safest way (perhaps paranoic way) would be to commit
and release all sandboxes first, and after the server is reconfigured,
checkout all again.
In my case, I only make sure all things were commited, and did a
search-and-replace on all CVS directories, updating the Root and
Repository files to its new values. It worked fine.

--
Gabriel Genellina