[cvsnt] Restore from 'state dead' - Entire project dead?

Williams, Tim WilliamsTim at PRAIntl.com
Mon Nov 19 19:10:33 GMT 2007

Hi folks,

I saw the recent post asking about resurrection from "state dead".  I
use this approach for single files:

 cvs -log -N filename     [find the last non-dead revision]

 cvs up -r revisionNumber -p filename > filename
 cvs add filename
 cvs commit filename "back from the dead..."

But what if a person accidentally CVS Removes most of a project?  Don't
laugh - it has happened due to lack of training and failure to
understand the Remove command. What is the best method to get the files
back and retain their revision history? We may be talking many, many
files here, so bringing them back on a file-by-file basis as per above
would lead to madness.

Tim
SAS Sys Admin