[cvsnt] Locking a CVS branch

Jyothi phani.jyothi at gmail.com
Sun Oct 21 02:08:24 BST 2007

Hi,
I have a question about CVSNT. Can you please post it on the list

I had a question on locking a CVS branch and since you guys are subject
matters experts :), I thought I should consult you for the same.

This is the situation: I have some code in the main trunk. I forked a new
branch (lets call it STB_BR) from the main trunk. Currently, the code on the
branch is exactly same as the main branch as there has been no development
after branching (given a file, the revision is same on both the branches). I
would like to lock the files in the STB_BR branch and allow developers to
change files in the main trunk.  When I try to lock the STB_BR branch, it
lock the latest version of all the files in the branch. But the problem is,
since it is locking a version of the file (and not a file in a branch) and
this version of the file is the latest version on the main trunk too, it has
essentially locked the file on the main trunk too. Is there a way to avoid
this scenario. Though the same version of a file is present on two branches,
i would like to lock the file in one branch and not on the other.

The command I used to lock the branch is "cvs admin -lSTB_BR"
--
cvs_usr