[cvsnt] Regarding filenames in CVSNT

Ron Buchholz ronbuchholz at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 9 19:52:29 BST 2008

Allow me to start off with my thanks for such a fine, stable, useful product,
and for the support given by both March-Hare and the newsgroup readers. It is
appreciated.

We are presently running CVSNT 2.5.03.2260 on a Linux RHEL 3.0 Server. Users
connect using SmartCVS on Windows workstations, and we use the ViewVC package
to surf our way into and out of the various repositories/projects. All is well.

My question deals with allowable filename characters.

I have done a lot of reviewing in the archives about this and am left wondering
if there are any real restrictions (anymore) on the characters that can be used
in a filename. Most of the related content to this question was for (much)
older releases of CVSNT...

Q: Is there anything in *CVSNT* (now) that does not allow certain
non-alphanumeric (i.e., space, +, {, ~, etc.) characters for a filename? If so,
what are those disallowed characters?

Q: (Possibly OT, but I'll ask here and in the other newsgroups to be sure)Does
anyone have any other evidence of filename problems with any other application
that uses CVSNT?

Thanks-
ronb.