[cvsnt] CHACL problem - why does CVS exist with code 0 whencommit fails?

Arthur Barrett arthur.barrett at march-hare.com
Thu Apr 24 13:56:58 BST 2008

> I can't help you with the commit problem, though. I think this should
> return an error code if it fails.

The reasoning is that commit successfully prevented you from committing
things you are not allowed to commit (and allowed you to commit what you
were allowed to).  Therefore the exit is success.

> cvs server: User AAA is unable to write to ./ReadMe.txt - ignoring
> ***** CVS exited normally with code 0 *****
>
> Why does CVS exist with code 0 and not with code 1?
> How will the user know that the commit actually didn't take
> place, if the returned error code is 0?

By reading the message.

I don't personally find the return statuses of CVS very helpful, Wincvs
displaying them appears to detract from the clarity not add to it.  CVS
follows the unix guideline (generally, vaguely) of being quiet when
things are OK and giving messages when things are not OK.  If there was
any problem with a command then a message will be clearly given.

Regards,

Arthur